Teacher Feature – Mr. Adam

Photo by Karli Soyland

Adam teaches a chemistry class with his pet snake.

Megan Landon, Staff Writer

Teaching at a large high school such as LHS can be a lot for some new teachers, but LHS science teacher Andrew Adam fit right in during his first year at the school. This year, he taught several chemistry classes and next school year will move on to teach Physics classes as well.

Something that students and staff may not have known this year about Adam is that he used to have 150 reptiles at his home, but now has less than 100. Also, he is a quirky teacher and likes to have fun by telling his class jokes.

“I used to work with alligators and venomous snakes, and it’s awesome that I do not have to worry about my students biting me,” said Adam. “I like to tell a chemistry joke every Monday whether it’s Lame or Sodium funny that you slap your Neon them.”

Adam has enjoyed working at LHS for the environment that all LHS teachers have the privilege to work in every day. LHS teachers in all subjects pride themselves on being able to create a positive work environment, and this year, Adam was able to see it first hand.

“I really enjoy teaching here; the students are really fun,” said Adam. “The students are very entertaining, engaging and fun to have in class.”

Like students, teachers learn every year that they teach. Whether it is a big or small concept, it is good that they take something away from the school year. For Adam, what he learned at LHS was very specific to his class and will be useful for him moving on to next year.

“A small amount of pure sodium is a relative term,” said Adam. “I should use a Pea size for a demo.”

Now that he has one year at LHS under his belt, Adam can look forward to next school year where he will also be teaching physics.

“It should be great,” said Adam. “Mr. Adam teaching about the Atom in physics. And so many good jokes to look forward to.”