Fine Arts student of the week

Fine Arts student of the week

Ellie Lamberty, Staff Writer

Freshmen tend to try their hardest not to stand out. Gillian Hilscher may have wanted to stay under the radar, but with talent well beyond her age,  that may be nearly impossible to do.  

Orchestra teacher, Dr. Mario Chiarello, chose Gillian Hilscher as a stand out Fine Arts student because she is hardworking, and an undeniably talented viola player. She recently qualified for the National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America’s NYO2 program for 14-17 year old instrumentalists. Only 78 young musicians across the U.S. qualify for this honor.

“She is amazing. How often do you get something like this to happen?” said Chiarello. “I’m happy if they ever get in, and the fact that she got in as a freshmen makes me really happy. She did it, and she comes from South Dakota which is mind-blowing.”  

Although Hilscher is talented musically, Chiarello also chose her because of the type of person she is and how she conducts herself. She is impressive as a violist, but she also is an impressive well-rounded person.

“She is humble. I have never had someone that good,” said Chiarello. “She probably knows, but she never flaunts it.”

Chiarello believes that the sky is the limit for Hilscher. Having already qualifying for national competitions, he believes her future is limitless.

“She is going to get an audition wherever she wants,” said Chiarello. “It’s hard- living in South Dakota- to even get an audition. Carl Henry, one of the greats that we ever had, didn’t even get an audition everywhere he tried.”