ACCA: Protecting your privacy

Founder+of+ACCA%2C+Jack+Fehrs+poses+with+his+chromebook+camera+hidden.+

Photo by Abbie Griffin

Founder of ACCA, Jack Fehrs poses with his chromebook camera hidden.

Abbie Griffin, Staff Writer

This year as kids make their way back to school in the hope of receiving good grades and making new friends, many also had high expectations for the new technology the school had to offer. Better and more up-to-date chromebooks had many students buzzing but what they got was not what they were expecting. The new update, Lanschool, asks students to share their screen every time they open their chromebook. The conspiracy theory has driven many kids to join the ACCA, an association created by junior Jack Fehrs.

“One day while I was sitting in class, Jack Fehrs asked me to join the Anti Chromebook Camera Association,” said Isaac Woods. “I decided it would be a great idea because in my opinion having LanSchool share our screen is an invasion of my privacy.”

In this association, Fehrs provides club members with sticky notes to put over their Chromebook camera. With new members joining everyday, this association is growing exponentially. As more rumors circulate LHS about how the school is using the chromebook camera to watch them, many students do not even feel comfortable doing school work on them.

“If the rumors going around about the school watching students were true, I would not feel comfortable using my chromebook because it is really creepy and there is no point to it,” said Woods.

As the years go by, technology will continue to improve and get better. With all these new updates and fancy designs is your privacy really being protected?