Suburban Lanes: no longer plain

The new Suburban Lanes sign showing its new ownership GreatLife.

Photo by Tanner Hauck

The new Suburban Lanes sign showing it’s new ownership GreatLife.

Tanner Hauck, Staff Writer

Bowling is not what it used to be. The once ultra popular high school activity has receded into a shell of its former self and is now commonly associated with the older generations. The ever expanding GreatLife Malaska Golf and Fitness club looks to change this perception with its recent acquisition and renovation of Suburban Lanes.

Suburban Lanes, located on 2621 S Spring Ave. has not seen a remodel during its entire residency in that location. Prior to the renovation, the bowling alley was dingy, musty and dated. Instead of doing a complete restoration of the building, the new GreatLife ownership decided to theme the alley ‘50s and keep some if its features such as the lanes themselves. The rest of the space, the sitting area, entrance and restaurant were renovated in classic ‘50s style.

An inside view of the newly renovated Suburban Lanes.
Photo by Tanner Hauck

Walking into the reception area, bowlers are greeted with a row of giant neon lights and some funky, fun carpet. The use of skylights creates a vibrant atmosphere that the place lacked before. The area that was once a video lottery has been transformed into a cool ‘50s styled restaurant that opens up the space making it more welcoming. The walls are decorated with ‘50s memorabilia and a mix of contemporary and modern styling can be seen throughout the furnishing. The building is dressed in GreatLife’s signature black and red colors with tones of grey acting as a complement. To top it all off, there has been an addition of numerous flat-screen TV’s to broadcast all the big games and events. If that is not enough, they also have a handful of golf simulators in the works making it the only bowl and golf combination available in Sioux Falls.

The idea is new, interesting and provides an exciting atmosphere where families can spend time together and friends can hang out. They encourage gatherings and parties and want to provide a safe place for middle and high schoolers to spend time. The majority of the renovation has been completed and Suburban Lanes is open for business. Rates look to stay the same and they will continue to honor free bowling for all GreatLife members.