Club of the week

Photo provided by Tanner Hauck

Bricks Out for Harambe scrimmaging The Smispons at Great Life.

Oliver Lockwood-Powell, Staff Writer

With the Hi-Y league starting up this Sunday, the 22nd, it has been a hot topic for the school for the past few weeks. Veteran teams are looking for revenge, rookies are out there looking to get their name remembered and fans are loving every bit of it.

The Hi-Y basketball league has been an outlet for boys and girls all around Sioux Falls for years. This is a place where one can go out and have fun without getting yelled at by a coaching staff for not playing hard enough defense or shooting backwards shots. In the Hi-Y world, one gets to choose what one wants, when you want it. There are two different leagues. The competitive league, where students are able to try harder and get their competition fix for the week every Wednesday or Sunday. Then there is the rec league. The rec league is where most of the students play in order to showcase their best half-court shots, behind the back passes and even get to heckle the refs a little bit if they do not like their calls.

“We have the potential to go all the way,”said junior Ethan Moore of the Sioux Falls Smispons. “We got talent in all positions, we play like the 1990 Detroit Pistons and I like to compare my skill set to that of Bill Laimbeer.”

Throughout Hi-Y history, friend groups have been getting together and paying $100 each to have a priceless time at a local gym. Most of the games are played here at LHS and others can be played at the Pentagon or George McGovern. Hi-Y is not only a place to showcase your skills, it is a place to set goals, look forward to highlight plays, put on a show for your fans and believe in each other as well.

“I’m looking forward to face off with the Cheesemen in the championship and show them what they are missing out on,” said senior Jacob Alvine of the Dad Kissers Hi-Y team. “ Also I can not wait to see all of the dads who are going to be there to watch me.”

Although the season can be fun and games, things can get heated really quickly and escalate fast. Some athletes are able to stay level-headed, others not so much.

“I have not received a technical in my four years in the league,” said senior George Mickelson of Bricks Out for Harambe.

Talking about the teams and how they play may be fun, but what is even more fun is the customization of jerseys and the uniqueness buried in every single one. The color, the names and even the number all have meaning. It represents more than just the team, it represents the individual and their style of play.

“The name on my jersey is just an X, because ‘X gon’ give it to ya’, and my number is 44 because that is my football number,” said junior Xavier Kolb of the Sioux Falls Cheesemen. “I like to say I am a bruiser/enforcer, because none of my teammates are fit to do it.”

The Hi-Y season to some is just a basketball season, to others it is a lifestyle. Some can wait, others cannot, but with it creeping around the corner, every team is itching to lace up and get back onto the court.