Trend of the week: American Teen

Up and coming singer, Khalid, makes his debut with album American Teen.

Up and coming singer, Khalid, makes his debut with album “American Teen”.

Abbie Griffin, Staff Writer

In the age of new technology and social media, it seems like anyone can become an Internet sensation overnight, and for rapper Khalid, that seems like exactly what happened. The 19-year-old made his debut when he reached the number two spot on the Billboard Twitter Emerging Artists in July of 2016. Many publications including Yahoo, Buzzfeed and Rolling Stone named him an artist you need to know. At the end of 2016, “Location” finished at number 20 on the Billboard’s Mainstream R&B/Hip Hop Airplay chart.

After the release of his latest album, “American Teen” on March 3, Khalid gained popularity among students at LHS. But what is most appealing about this album is how teenagers are able to relate to love, lust and loss in relationships between significant others.

“I really like Khalid’s new album,” said LHS junior Britten Blount. “I like how different it is from mainstream pop music nowadays and how it sounds more like R&B. All the songs on the album are good as well, and I think it is a perfect album to listen to in the summer.”

The “American Teen” album has been credited as to be influenced by other artists like Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Frank Ocean and Chance the Rapper. Not only are his songs different from the mainstream pop music, they are also meaningful and something almost every teenager can relate to.

“Khalid’s new album differs from other popular music because it sounds different compared to all the other songs that are popular these days,” said LHS freshman Morgan McDonnel. “His songs are relatable and people can connect to them which makes people fall even more in love with his songs.”