South Dakota’s next top model struts down the hallways

Summer Ericson, Staff Writer

High school is typically a time spent doing average activities. Such as homework, minimum wage paying jobs and casual weekends spent with friends. But Ashley Healy, LHS senior, has experiences and places stamped on her passport that is completely contradictory from “average.”

Healy has traveled around the world doing a job many would dream of, modeling. She started when she was around 15 when her mother came up with the idea. She had virtually no interest in modeling before her mom urged her to try it.

“My mom told me that if I went to see a modeling agent, she would take me shopping at the Mall of America,” said Healy. “Next thing I knew I was sent to Milan and scouted by an agent.”

Milan is known as one of the most important fashion cities in the world. After this, Healy’s modeling career boomed, and she began traveling and getting more modeling jobs as the opportunities came.

“I’ve met so many cool people,” said Healy. “I’ve spent a few months in New York doing jobs, and next month I’m going to be in Paris and New York again.”

Healy has gotten high acclaim from her modeling and has even walked in front of incredibly well-known celebrities and modeled for high fashion designers, like Jonathan Simkhai.

“Kylie Jenner was in the front row of the Jonathan Simkhai show that I did,” said Healy. “This was probably one of my favorite shows that I’ve done so far because there were many other supermodels there. Some of them even being Victoria Secret Angels that had just walked in the Victoria Secret Fashion Show. The whole experience was great and I had so much adrenaline.”

Healy has some upcoming modeling jobs and is going to be walking in the Couture Fashion Week in the fall of 2017. This features high fashion brands like Chanel, Gucci and Versace brands that  “average” teenagers probably are unable to afford, but can see Healy wearing as she struts the runway.

Although Healy has done many different modeling jobs, she is not going to continue to pursue her job as a high fashion model. Instead, Healy plans to save her earnings from her hard work and use it for medical school. *Gasp. Healy is very set on this decision. Her modeling experiences will stick with her throughout her years as she decides to divert from it, and will continue to make all of us a little jealous.

“Modeling is pretty fun,” said Healy. “I get to travel and meet new people and see new things which really is awesome.”