A+ Choudhry Brother Duo

Emily Whitney, Staff Writer

Most family dinner table discussions revolve around school happenings, current events or plans for the upcoming weekend. At the Choudhry household, they might be more likely to hear debate over the theory of relativity.

This is because LHS students Arjun and Akshay Choudhry have set a high standard for academic excellence that has become part of their identity and could brighten their future.

“We take pride in our classwork and doing well in school,” said Arjun, a junior and older brother to Akshay, a sophomore. “It’s always been a part of our family.”

Whether scoring well on college placement tests or competing in academic competitions, this dynamic classroom duo has become well-known at LHS, where they share their knowledge to help fellow students prepare for the SAT and ACT.

Arjun sets the tone as the older brother. His 4.2 grade-point average has him tied for first in the junior class, with AP classes allowing his GPA to rise over 4.0. His AP class history includes Chemistry, Physics, World History, Human Geo and Statistics. Not only did he take these classes, he also scored a five, the highest score, on all of the tests. Though the brothers support each other, they admit that competition does exist when it comes to grades.

“We are extremely competitive,” said Arjun, who knows his brother is rising fast on the academic scene.

Younger brother Akshay follows in similar footsteps. He is currently in AP Chemistry, Physics 1, Statistics and World History. His current GPA is 4.0225 on track to be a 4.2 with this year’s classes.

Although GPA appears to be equal based on their grades, a minor difference can be seen in college placement tests. Arjun’s ACT score currently stands at a 32 from his freshman year and he does not plan to retake it because he is relying more on his SAT on which he scored a 1560. Akshay also took the ACT his freshman year and scored a 33, one point above. He has not taken the SAT, but he has a strong goal in mind.

“My goal is to get a 35 on the ACT and a 1580 on my SAT,” said Akshay, whose goals reach above his brother’s current scores.

Their academic pursuits are supported by their parents, who are both doctors in Sioux Falls. Their father is an orthopedic surgeon and their mother works as a radiologist.

Both brothers hope to attend Stanford University, where their friendly classroom rivalry can continue. Instead of just focusing on their own futures, though, they are willing to help other students chasing their collegiate dreams. They help out with the ACT prep class that is held at LHS, working through possible questions and test-taking strategies.

“We have had a lot of success with improving scores,” said Akshay.

The brothers know that a well-rounded school experience means more than just success in the classroom. They are both involved in tennis and are members of the LHS boys team that has captured two consecutive state championships.

“Tennis helps me with focus during school because it is an individual sport which also requires focus,” said Arjun.

All in all, it has been an impressive run for the Choudhry brothers at LHS, with plenty lively dinner table discussions and perfect scores still to come.