Our Story: Showcasing LHS’ diversity

Landon DeBoer, Staff Writer

This past Thursday, Sept. 14, 2017,  LHS hosted it’s first ever Our Story event. At this event, students or faculty from LHS who were born in different parts of the world came to tell their stories about their home countries.

Students Amani Boas, Ayanle Ibrahim, Natalie Silva Rodriguez and teacher Monica Conover from LHS came to the little theater after school to tell their stories to whomever took the time to listen to them. It was a great event to showcase the diversity of LHS and to get to hear the stories of students that were funny, interesting or different than one might expect. Conover really enjoyed to tell her story to the audience with students and family in the crowd.

“My favorite part was to be able to talk about things that were different here than in Mexico,” said Conover.

Conover really enjoyed listening to the stories of the others in the event as well.

“I enjoyed being able to hear about the different countries that I don’t always hear about,” said Conover.

The Our Story event has been in the works for a while now and has finally been realized. The speakers had a lot time to write their speeches, they were well prepared for them and they all did a really good job.

“I practiced my speech a number of times to get ready,” said Conover.

The event was capped off with food from Panchero’s in the lunchroom where everyone was able to converse with the speakers and enjoy a meal with friends.