“Windians” winning streak comes to a close

Google Public Use

Google Public Use

Oliver Lockwood-powell, Sports Editor

The MLB is a league where you do not know what the outcome is going to be at any given moment in the season. There could be a blowout, a close game, a blown save, a perfect game and the list goes on and on. During the Cleveland Indians 22-game win streak, it seemed as if the wins were never going to end for the powerhouse Indians.

For more than a month, the Indians seemed nearly invincible. During their 22-game win streak they only trailed a total of eight innings and there run ratio was one of the best the game has ever seen. During their time as the absolute bully against other teams, they came up just shy of the longest streak in MLB history, 26 games.

It is not just the fact that they won 22 straight games, but they did so handily, only winning one game by a walk-off hit, coming from the bat of Jay Bruce to extend the win streak to 22. However this was not just a one man job. The Indians used 36 position players during the 22 games and not one person played every single game. When it was time to step up, the Indians showed that they are a very deep and dangerous team heading into the playoffs.

Not only was it a tremendous record-setting win streak, they also pushed their way up even more, ahead of the Minnesota Twins in the Al Central division. Only up four games at the start of the streak, they extended the lead up to 13 ½ games, allowing them to clinch their third consecutive spot in the 2017 MLB playoffs.

At the end of their heroic streak, the win hungry “Windians” were thanked by a roaring sellout crowd at progressive field that had just witnessed something that has not happened in over a century.