If help is not wanted, is it worth it to offer help?

Abbie Griffin, Entertainment Editor

In first period on Monday, Nov. 20 peer tutors from multiple classes were asked to help in the learning center with the freshmen that were failing their classes. Upon going down there, we were asked to walk around the room and answer questions for anyone who needed help. We walked around, and for the whole first period some students didn’t do anything. So, is there any point to help the freshmen if they won’t accept it?

For some it was a helpful time to get homework done and to get back on track, but for others it was a time to just sit and do nothing. Repeatedly we asked over and over if they needed any help, if they had any questions or if they needed help getting back on track. Half the kids in the room with blank pieces of paper and empty stares said they knew exactly what they were doing. Frustrated and feeling pretty useless, we continued to stroll around waiting to be needed, but the time never came.
Some students sat for 20 minutes and made no progress, and when we asked them if we could help, they refused. 20 minutes later, their paper was still blank and they continued to refuse. Even though using Mondays to help the freshmen get back on track is helpful for some, for others it is just a period to stare aimlessly at the wall until the day is over. It is a day away from class and being forced to listen to lessons they do not care about.

While this day of work is helpful to some, it is wasteful to others. So the real question is, is it worth offering help if help is not wanted?

If I were a failing freshmen, I would want help. I would not only want but need someone to push me to do better. But just sitting in the learning center for the day would not be good enough.

Honestly for me, I would need an assigned seating arrangement to make sure I got work done and didn’t sit next to my friends. I would need to be forced to give up my phone to make sure I didn’t just sit and play games the whole time or listen to music. I need structure to work and think just like the freshmen do now. If we as a school are able to provide more of an organized work space for students, I believe more work can get done.