BBC predicts 2018’s emerging artists

Google Public Use

Billie Eilish is among the youngest artists to land a spot on the BBC’s “Music Sound of 2018” list.

Hannah Hansen, Staff Writer

Every year, up-and-coming artists emerge through the wave of performers supported by the music industry – and, every year, these same artists define the sound that represents the year as a whole. As young artists become a recurring domination in the music world, 2018 is sure to bring new and original artists to the forefront of the music industry.

Since 2003, the BBC has predicted the top rising stars in music. With past winners including Adele, Sam Smith and Ellie Goulding, the anticipation for this year’s top emerging artists is widely viewed as the epitome of music stardom.  

The BBC recently named the artists sure to make a name for themselves in 2018. Among them includes the youngest ever to make the list: 15-year-old Billie Eilish. Eilish’s twisted take on pop music has secured her spot on the BBC’s “Music Sound of 2018” collection of promising and ambitious artists. Growing up in Los Angeles, Eilish uses her pop sound to resonate with the American crowd. With singles such as “Bellyache,” the duality of Eilish’s bizarre lyrical arrangements with her contrasting acoustic guitar make for a unique and distinctive sound that is sure to materialize in the coming year.

This year, Khalid has become widely popular in the U.S. as he made his way into the top charts. While writing his hit album, “American Teen,” when he was only in high school, Khalid proves age should never define one’s ability to achieve. As his popularity has grown amongst the younger crowd, the BBC predicts his following will only continue to expand next year.

In addition to Eilish and Khalid, another rising artist has grabbed the attention of music scouts. Alma’s striking neon hair is not the only thing that makes her stand out from a crowd. Her electrifying voice has proven her ability to stand with the rest of the BBC’s list of rising artists. At only 21-years-old, Alma has already produced successful music such as her single, “Chasing Highs.” With one hit already tied to her name, Alma is predicted to achieve even greater heights in 2018.

As young and determined artists have made their way into the heart of American music in 2017, next year’s performers are forecasted to do the same. The younger generation’s ability to connect with their fans leaves no room to question the dedication they have – making 2018 as prepared as ever to see these artists shine in the coming year.