High-Y beginning a fresh new season

Hash+Slinging+Slashers+at+The+Y+after+winning+their+first+game.+

Somer Luitjens

Hash Slinging Slashers at The Y after winning their first game.

Somer Luitjens, Staff Writer

It is about that time of year for the most fun and competitive basketball for high school students. Yep, that means High-Y season is finally here.

High-Y basketball is a great way for high school students to play a game they love without the pressure of a state title up the road. There are many teams coming out of all the Sioux Falls schools ready to battle it out on the court. LHS has over four teams signed up for this season, and it is known to be one of the most competitive seasons yet.

The High-Y season began this Sunday, Jan 14. and was a strong start for many teams. Many of the teams, coaches and fans were excited about the outcome of the opening day and cannot wait to see what else the season holds for them or their favorite team.

The Hash Slinging Slashers are one of the teams that are made up of mostly LHS students. For their season opener, they played The Goons and came out on top starting off their season strong. All the players had a blast getting to ball with each other for the first time and are all excited to spend more time with each other to get better.

“I have a lot of fun cheering my team on from the bench and filling up their water when asked,” said junior Ryan Neff. “I am so glad I get to call some of my good friends, teammates until the season is over.”

Many of the teams, including The Hash Slinging Slashers are very confident and excited about what the future holds for their teams. The screaming fans and the intense games bring out the competitiveness in everyone and many people are ready to spend their Sundays watching some great basketball.

“I expect our team to win a championship,” said Neff. “Between our height, heart and amazing coach, we should be able to win every game.”