Fortnite update brings fresh content for players

Jack Fehrs

A LHS student studies YouTuber Ali-A’s gameplay, looking intently for strategies.

Jack Fehrs, Feature Editor

On Friday, Jan. 18th a new update will be coming to Fortnite, the popular free-to-play game by Epic Games, adding new cities and areas for gamers to explore.

The update’s most notable addition is the creation of a city area, with towering buildings, aptly named “Tilted Towers.” The new city will have larger buildings, and more of them, compared to the small towns that are currently spread across the map. The urban landscape is sure to provide players with close quarter combat, something the game could use more of. However, the city is not the only point of interest being added to the game.

From the update trailer, two other named areas are confirmed to be added to the game. Shifty Shafts, which is a mine area, and Junk Junction, a scrap yard for cars. The trailer also features a motel, however, does not provide a name for it. These new points of interest will provide players with new areas to drop and gather loot and resources.

Finally, the update brings a couple of smaller details to the game. Biomes will be added, and according to Eric W., on the Fortnite YouTube channel, “The swamp feels swampier, the mountains feel more montainy, really the different areas of the map feel more unique.” The seasonal winter event will also be removed, and Fortnite will return to its original non-festive look.

Without a doubt, gamers are looking forward to Fortnite’s new update which is bound to fan the flames of fandom that already exist among players.

“For the new update, I am most excited for the new towns, because the old map was getting boring,” said LHS freshman Brady Carman.

Fortnite’s update has arrived just in time for LHS’ long weekend, and gamers throughout the halls of LHS can be heard chatting excitedly about the amount of hours they will log this weekend.