Gramlick wins Poetry Out Loud

Katie Osmundson

Lincoln added a new state champion to their growing list last Monday, as junior Gage Gramlick took first in the state Poetry Out Loud competition. Gramlick will continue on his path to success at the national competition in Washington D.C. on April 19-23.

“I am excited to go and represent South Dakota and LHS at nationals,” said Gramlick.

The Poetry Out Loud competition has reached over 3 million students since 2005. It is a competition that challenges students to memorize and recite poetry. It focuses on building important public speaking skills and confidence in front of audiences. The competition starts at a classroom level and moves towards a state competition with eight competitors.

“I am super honored to be the winner of the state Poetry Out Loud competition,” said Gramlick. “I think that Poetry Out Loud is an amazing opportunity for anyone who loves poetry.”

Gramlick will also be able to enter a piece of his own original poetry at the national tournament, an all expense paid trip. Gramlick also won $500 for the LHS library to use to purchase poetry books, along with a cash prize of $250 and a $300 gift card to Barnes and Noble.

Poetry Out Loud is a great event for anyone who has interest in poetry or preforming and is open to all high school students. If you are interested in Poetry Out Loud for next year, contact Mrs. Nelson to get involved, or check of the Poetry Out Loud website at http://www.poetryoutloud.org/about