Debate departure: Martinet migrates from LHS

Provided by Katie Osmundson

The LHS debate team, under Martinet’s coaching, had an impressive showing at this year’s National Qualifier Tournament.

Timothy Stolp, Staff Writer

Last Thursday the ballots were counted and the results were revealed: Tony Martinet had won the title of Sioux Falls Education Association President, which solidified his departure from LHS.

While he is planning his transition to the position of SFEA President, Martinet is wrapping up his year at LHS. As the current debate coach, Martinet has been an example of dedication, perseverance and a standard of excellence that LHS takes to heart. However, his journey as debate coach has been one traversed by few in similar fashion.

“I technically started here in 2007 as the debate coach,” said Martinet. “The 2008-09 school year is when I started teaching full time. I was here until the summer of 2012 and then I came back in the 2015-16 school year. Five years previous and then another three, so eight years in total.”

Martinet feels prepared to move into his new job and gives some insight into what the position means.

“SFEA is the teacher’s union, essentially,” said Martinet. “But it’s more than just a union to protect teachers—it’s also a professional organization to help develop teachers.”

He finds that certain lessons he learned from his time at LHS will carry on into all aspects of his professional life, especially as he becomes a coach for teachers.

“I really never thought about what it meant to have a standard of excellence until I came to LHS,” said Martinet. “That expectation of ‘I can always do better’ is something I think I learned here at LHS.”

Martinet’s attitude of responsibility translates over to his pupils throughout his classes and on the debate team. They too are beginning to fully understand what the exit of Martinet as debate coach means for them with a positive mindset.

“I think they’re okay with it,” said Martinet. “Partly because, when I started my campaign for presidency, I told them. They’re handling it pretty well in that they know that I will do whatever I can to make sure this program still has a strong leader.”

Martinet leaves with a happy heart and a respect for LHS and its traditions.

“I hope students remember me as one of their hardest teachers,” said Martinet. “I think my debaters can attest to this: I have always pushed students to try and do better than they think they could, but I’ve always supported students in the process.”