A summer job: a do or a don’t?

Brita Quello, Staff Writer

As the end of the school year is around the corner, students are starting to discuss their summer plans. Some have already committed to a job, while others are wondering if they should work this summer.

When one thinks of the summertime, they may think of swimming in the pool and hanging out with friends while being tan and content, right? But if one had to work a summer job, you would just be stuck inside working and not having fun, right? Not exactly.

Sioux Falls may be a smaller city, but there are many job opportunities that are available to high schoolers, and they are not jobs where you are trapped inside.

“I am hoping to work at Swim America and teach swimming lessons, cause girl, I want money,” said freshman Avery Blackman.

Blackman has swimming experience, and she will be getting paid to swim around in the water with little kiddos. Good gig, am I right?

“I am have my own business, where I walk dogs for people who do not go home for their lunch break. So I dogsit, and I work at Hyvee,” said junior Lexi Barbush.

Barbush will be also taking advantage of this summer to make some cash, but of course to spend time with those puppers.

Some other fun job options for high schoolers consist of:

• Lifeguarding
  • Hosting tables
  • Sky Zone
  • Working at a Country Club
  • Walking dogs
  • Nannying
  • Giving lessons of all sorts
  • Hyvee
  • Tutoring
  • Reffing

Hopefully this helps you decide on a job for this summer, preferably outside so you can get that nice tan and so you can get that moolah.