Everything you need to know about this year’s BBMAs

Billboard

Billboard

Hannah Hansen, Staff Writer

We have now entered the month of May – a month filled with semester tests, graduation preparation and yes, you guessed it: the Billboard Music Awards (BBMAs). The awards show, which is slated to headline a variety of popular artists, takes the stage at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV on May 20. In the weeks leading up to the star-studded spectacle, details have been announced in preparation for the big event, including the nominees for each category. Here is everything you need to know about this year’s BBMAs:

1. Who is the host? Kelly Clarkson, American singer-songwriter, is set to host this year’s BBMAs. In a statement last month, Clarkson noted the intense preparation that makes the awards show one of music’s biggest nights.

“I already have 20 costume changes planned,” said Clarkson. “I will be flying in like my girl P!nk, and calling Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman for jokes… Well, or I’m just gonna show up and celebrate my favorite artists and get to know a few more.”

1. Who is performing? Pop artist Ariana Grande is scheduled to open the show with a promised “show-stopping performance.” The event will also include a duet performance from contemporary R&B singer Christina Aguilera and pop artist Demi Lovato, who are set to perform Aguilera’s new single, “Fall in Line.” In addition to Aguilera and Lovato, K-pop band BTS along with John Legend, Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello, Dua Lipa and Jennifer Lopez are all scheduled to give individual performances throughout the evening.
  2. Top Artist Nominations? One of the most prized awards for the BBMAs, Top Artist, has already sparked intriguement following its nominee announcement. This year’s nominees include Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift.  
  3. Top New Artist Nominees? Top New Artist, another highly-honorable award, will go to Camila Cabello, Khalid, 21 Savage, Cardi B or Kodak Black.
  4. Who is receiving the Billboard Icon Award? Soul artist and American singer-songwriter Janet Jackson will be recognized with this year’s title. In addition, Jackson will be performing live: her first televised performance in nine years.

The BBMAs is entirely unpredictable; viewers, fans and attendees have no way to predict what the event has in store. Be sure to tune in to NBC at 7 p.m. on May 20 and watch your favorite artists take the stage, present awards and, if they are lucky, receive one themselves.