It’s a beautiful day to save lives: donate blood

Katie Osmundson, Staff Writer

On May 1, LHS students had the opportunity to give much more than candy and May Day baskets; rather, they were given the chance to participate in Lincoln’s annual blood drive.
In just one donation, a person has the ability to save up to three lives, and because the donation process is so simple, it is an easy way to give back to one’s community. Donating blood regularly is also beneficial to the donor as it reduces the probability that they will develop chronic illnesses and cancer in the future. The donation gives one’s body a need to replace blood cells, which keeps it healthy. Not to mention that in one blood donation a person can burn up to 650 calories in fat. Making regular blood donation is beneficial all around.
The Community Blood Center reminds people that giving blood is a community responsibility. With only 37 percent of the population eligible to donate, less than 10 percent of those eligible choose to do so. This leads to a major blood shortage within the U.S. which is exasperated due to the inability of synthetically manufactured blood. Blood is needed by a hospital every two seconds, meaning that about one in every seven hospital patients need blood. The blood that one donates can help save people who have been hurt in accidents, had surgeries and cancer patients.

If one want to donate blood (which they should), there are just a few qualifications that they must meet before they can:

• You must be at least 16 years old (with parental permission)
  • You must weigh 110 lbs
  • You need to bring an ID
  • It must have been at least 56 days since you last donated

Although the bloodmobile is no longer at LHS, if one is looking to donate there are locations at both hospitals in Sioux Falls. Visit the Community Blood Bank website to learn more on how one can donate blood and the benefits it will have on the community.