Athletes returning from sports injuries: Doctors should have the final say

Maddi Barness, Staff Writer

In today’s time, students always stay busy with school and homework. Along with those day-to-day activities, a majority of high school students participate in some sort of sport or activity. Many sports have long, grueling practices that lead to sore muscles and sometimes injuries. But after the icing and the physical therapy, athletes feel ready to get back into the game. Yet doctors hold them back and commonly make them sit out for just a few more weeks. So who should have the final say, the one with the injury, or the one who is treating it?

Doctors have gone to school for years to be prepared to diagnose patients with illness and injuries, which means they know exactly what they are talking about. As much as athletes want to say it is their body, in the end doctors know what is best for the athlete and their future. Even if the swelling has gone down and the headache has gone away, there could still be potential medical problems if players go back into sports before their body is ready. These are the kinds of problems that cannot be found by a high school student.

Before allowing players back into practices and games, doctors have a full list of tests and questions to complete before they are confident the athlete is healed. They first check for the obvious external signs such as no more swelling, less bruising and more movement in the body part. However, there are still many factors that play into a healthy body. With an injury, such as a concussion, even though the athlete’s head could be feeling better the brain could still have damage. Then with injuries, such as ankles, they could be feeling back to normal even though the bones are still not healed. Only the doctor can tell how the injury is healing based on medical tests and procedures.

Letting someone else control one’s life is not easy, especially for high school students. When I was injured my sophomore year, I was set on the idea that it was my body and I knew how I was feeling. I was frustrated when I could not get back to playing right when I wanted to and I still believed I knew what was best for me. However, I understand now that doctors need to take control over the situation and tell the athletes when they are allowed to play. If they did not, there would be more injuries, more recovery time and less time playing in the game. Sometimes all the athlete can do is sit back and wait for the green light from their doctor. That is never easy for someone who loves their sports, but when it comes to a healthy future, doctor knows best.