Undefeated LHS freshman football team rises to the top

Ellie Lamberty, Staff Writer

aydenhunter

Freshmen year is not usually a time to stand out. Most of the time freshmen feel awkward and uncomfortable and are trying hard to not get in anyone’s way. Sure, everyone hopes to stand out at some point, just not for something like accidently falling down the stairwell. This year’s freshmen football team took the opposite approach, with several players who seemed very comfortable on the field. They were also a team that loudly announced its arrival at LHS with an undefeated season, which is the first time that has ever happened at LHS.

Freshmen quarterback Ayden Sand and running back Hunter Merkley were two of the players who got noticed for their play on the field. Sand threw 19 touchdown passes and had over 1,000 yards passing. Merkley scored 13 touchdowns and had over 1,000 rushing yards. Their success during the season turned heads, but both players credit hard work off the field for their success.

“We workout at Sanford once a week,” said Sand. “We have lifting every weekday for about an hour too. I don’t have any off-season training because I’m doing other sports, but if you’re not in another sport you have workouts.”  

Sand and Merkley both have enjoyed their first year as high school football players, but each has different reasons why they thought the season was great.   

“I’ve really enjoyed winning and playing with different people,” said Sand. “I have also liked being coached by Jaws (freshmen coach James Jarovski), he’s the best.”

The season went very well, but the team is not satisfied to rest on one good season. Sand and Merkley both have goals they have yet to achieve for the season and for their high school careers.

“I want to go undefeated the rest of this season,” said Merkley. “I also want to get two state championships before I graduate.”