LHS boys basketball team faces rival WHS

Christophe Bwanya goes up for shot during the fourth quarter of the LHS vs. WHS boys basketball game.

Baylie Embry

Lucy Dekkenga and Emily Whitney

Last night, Thursday, Jan. 12, the LHS boys basketball team took on their crosstown rivals, the WHS Warriors. The night started out with an excited LHS student section, all coordinated in red, who were looking much sharper than the opposing student section who could not figure out if they were supposed to be wearing black or orange. However, the themes did not matter once the game started and the crowd was intensely focused.

The first quarter began with a few early points from the Warrior offense to set them up with an early lead. Despite LHS efforts, the WHS lead remained ahead for the majority of the game. WHS continued their quick offense and tight defense, keeping LHS trailing closely behind. At the end of the first quarter LHS trailed by five points with a score of 9-14.

Second quarter started to look more hopeful for the Patriots as WHS had sloppy turnovers and careless passes. Due to these mistakes, LHS had some quick counter attacks, closing their trailing score. However, WHS stepped up their game and soon picked up one of their biggest leads of the game by the end of the half when LHS was down 26-33.

Second half was beginning to look the same as the first half when WHS came out and scored the first couple points. WHS used the momentum from these extra points and their increasing lead to show off their crafty offense. However, their defense was sloppy on rebounds as the ball was flying around and LHS could quickly regroup for some shots. Some WHS players even seemed to have some trouble staying on their feet, giving LHS momentum. Eventually LHS took advantage of these errors and closed down on the WHS lead and the game got heated.

Soon LHS students were chanting at players, coaches and the opposing student section. However, the referees were getting the most attention by the outraged LHS student section, and even coach Halseth. The series of questionable calls set WHS even further ahead. Just as the game outcome started to look bad, some excitement came when Kaleb Dobbs launched a 25-foot shot down court just in time for the buzzer of the end of third quarter, chipping away at the lead that WHS possessed going into the fourth quarter.

“I think it’s an exciting game,” said athletic director Joey Struwe. “Both teams are playing hard, the flow is good, the crowd is into it, there’s a lot of energy. It’s a fun time.”

Within the final quarter, the game got intense. As the time wound down, so did the energy in the crowd until junior Alex Glanzer swished a three-pointer to make the score 52-56. With just over a minute left, the lead was cut down to four points, giving LHS a chance for a legendary comeback. The crowd was filled with energy and Coach Halseth was as fired up as WHS students when they get their free t-shirts. Despite the efforts, the lead was lost and WHS drained the clock to win the game 61-55. However, the Crazies all know that LHS will come back and win in the end, like they always do.

“Both teams fought hard,” said junior Jack Meyers. “It was tough to see us come up on the losing side but I feel like we can bounce back.”

The next rival game against WHS will be held at LHS on Thursday Jan. 26… see you Crazies there.

Leading scorer: Dillon Barrow with 15

Leading rebounds: Diang Gatluak with 7

Leading assists: Carson Coulter with 4

Leading steals: Simon Higgason with 3