From clubs to cults: new trends at LHS

Abbie Griffin

Cult lead by Mark Olsen about five members and is continuing to grow.

Abbie Griffin, Staff Writer

Sports, band, yearbook and Salsa. These are just some of the things that may pop into students head when they are asked what they are involved in or participate in. However, for some students, the new thing to be a part of is a cult. Not like the scary cults you hear about that spring up in rural America, it is more like a social thing. Freshman Mark Olsen has recently started his own cult here at LHS.

“Its called The Society of Mark’s Basement,” said Olsen. “We do not worship a God, we just look at books. There is another thing you must bring: a cloak. I’m just kidding but you must bring something with a hood at least.”

Although the idea of a cult has been thought of before, Olsen put his own special twist on his. To gain entry to his cult, cult participants need to pass the secret ination and once they do, they are in.

“You have to pass the secret initiation test,” said Olsen. “First thing you have to do is take your shoes off, and this usually happens between two people, now exchange shoes and smell them. This is one of the tests. Good, you passed the first part of the ination. Now put on each others shoes. If it doesn’t fit, then just try. Now, time for the secret dance ritual. Spin around and around and around. Say it too. Now to be sworn in to my secret cult, you must take the secret cult oath. Repeat after me, I swear that I promise to keep this cult a secret, and that I am to listen and obey Lord Mark Olsen, leader of the secret cult. I will never go into a different cult except Mark’s, and I will never betray him ever. Now say you promise, You are in my cult now.”

Once a part of the cult, meetings are held once a week at Olsen’s house for about an hour. Mostly these meetings consist of dance moves and rituals in the basement of founder Olsen. Upon joining the cult, all that Olsen requests of you is that you get more people to join.

“Now since I am your Lord and master, I give you one simple task, you must recruit more members to join our cult,” said Olsen. “That is your mission.”