ELL student of the week: Natalie Silva-Rodriguez

Glory Yount, Staff Writer

The ELL program, English Language Learners, is designed to help non-native English speakers to become proficient and to even excel at speaking English. Because English is such a complex language with hundreds of grammatical rules and an incredibly vast amount of words and phrases, learning the language can be immensely difficult, requiring dedication and hard work.

Sophomore Natalie Silva-Rodriguez displays the hard work and leadership that teachers look for when deciding the student of the week. The LHS student of the week is meant to appreciate the dedication and academic success of certain students, along with standout personal qualities that show why the student is an excellent member of society. Silva-Rodriguez was an obvious choice to represent the LHS ELL program.

“She is a motivated student as well as a good model of respect and responsibility for others. In addition to being a quality student, she is always willing to help out any other student who may be struggling,” said LHS ELL teacher Sara Klaahsen .

Her leadership qualities are continuously proven through Silva-Rodriguez’s actions, including her ability to include other students in activities and her willingness to help struggling students. Klaahsen appreciates Silva-Rodriguez’s stand out qualities that display her dedication and her drive to improve in ELL and excel as a student.

“She comes early and stays late to make sure her work is done and so she can ask questions about work she might be confused about,” said Klaahsen.

Silva-Rodriguez is also involved in other school activities such as choir and JROTC.