LHS’s 2nd annual Lip Sync Battle

LHS student Antonio Humann was joined during his performance of Lets Get It Started by the other participants.

Karli Soyland

LHS student Antonio Humann was joined during his performance of “Let’s Get It Started” by the other participants.

Sidney Brower, Staff Writer

LHS does many types of projects in attempt to raise money for different organizations throughout our school, The Lip Sync Battle is only one of the few. This year’s Lip Sync Competition was put on by our outstanding student class officers. All proceeds will be going towards the 2017 prom. The money is needed for decorations, setup, location and making this dance the next best!

The Lip Sync Battle has been an ongoing tradition for two years now and students love to get out and help support. Students who are willing to put in the extra work will help create an entertaining environment for all LHS supporters on this night.

“We’ve been practicing for about a week or so,” said senior Evan Ekstrum. “In total we’ve put in about seven hours of practice.”

Many performers have stepped onto the auditorium stage and put on a show, but The LHS Lip Sync Battle is one of the most enjoyable. The event is so great students often return to show off their talents again.

“This was my second year in the lip sync battle,” said Ekstrum. “Last year I performed to NSYNC.”

Not only do the performers feel the event is worthy to return to, so does the audience. This year’s Lip Sync Competition brought joy to all members watching with a combination heartwarming and hilarious acts.

During short intermissions between acts, the evening’s MC’s, Eric Looby and Vanesa Arapovic, did an outstanding job keeping the crowd entertained. Out of the six exceptional entries, the winners of the event were chosen by four LHS teachers and one LHS alumni. Together their votes crowned Brooke Luitjens and Katie Patrick the champions of the event with their 80’s mashup and dance.

The Lip Sync Battle was not about winning or losing. Last night’s event was held to raise money in a fun way and create a positive memory while doing so.

“My favorite part is just going out and doing it for the fun of it,” said Ekstrum. “It’s nice to see others laugh at how crazy our dance was.”
     With this year’s competition ending as a success, more students and teachers should climb on the stage and participate in making next year’s Lip Sync Battle even better!

Mrs. Meghan Anderson-Finch
Brooke Luitjens and Katie Patrick (winners)
Jack Koester and Evan Ekstrum
Jack Van Veldhuizen, Bronson Vasa and George Mickelson (not pictured)
Libby Murphy
Vanesa Arapovic and her relatives