Fine Art Student of the Week 4/3-4/7: Audrey Lortscher

Photo provided by SDHSAA

Glory Yount, Staff Writer

The Fine Arts Student of the Week for the first week of April is awarded to Audrey Lortscher. Her hard work, dedication and creativity is what ultimately lead to her being specifically chosen for this title.

Lortscher won second-place in the South Dakota High School Activities Association art show in Rapid City in March with her ceramic piece entitled “Growth.” The ceramic piece is a visually balanced form that resembles sea growth. Her achievement in the SDHSAA art show clearly is not the only thing that makes Lortscher’s 3D teacher Travis Hinton confident in her abilities as an artist.

“What makes Audrey a good artist is her creativity. Her work has surreal and abstract qualities that invite the viewer to examine her work closer,” said Hinton.

Hinton also mentioned Lortscher’s current project.

“The current body of work she is creating are simple recognizable organic forms that have a lot of surface treatment,” said Hinton.

Because art is such a complex subject that does not necessarily have a “right” or a “wrong” answer, art requires a specific form of work and dedication. This type of labor requires an immense amount of thought, which creates obstacles the artist must overcome, unlike most other subjects. To become a great artist, one must have the skill and abilities to surpass such obstacles, demonstrating how rewarding it is to be successful at art.

Lortscher clearly possesses these qualities, considering that her achievements are clearly recognizable and she displays pure talent when it comes to ceramics.