Student of the week: Natalie Richardson

Richardson deadlifts at the State Powerlifting Competition for LHS.

Photo Provided by Natalie Richardson

Megan Landon, Sports Editor

LHS senior Natalie Richardson is already well-known within the LHS community for the success she has in weightlifting on a national level. She recently competed in another national competition and took home first place.

Weightlifting is something that obviously takes extreme strength, but also form and practice are very important to keep up the competition on Richardson’s level. She has been powerlifting for three years and trains four days a week for two hours each. Richardson recently returned from the High School Nationals competition.

“My most recent competition was High School Nationals on March 30,” said Richardson. “I received first in my weight division. I also received the best female lifter award for the entire meet. I totaled 880 lbs: 319 lbs squat, 187 bench, 375 deadlift.”

Richardson is currently training for and will soon be attending another weightlifting competition, this time not only on a national level, but on a world level.

“My next competition is Classic Powerlifting Championships in Minsk, Belarus,” said Richardson. “I am one of eight sub junior females competing on the US National Team at this world competition on June 20. I am beyond excited to be able to compete for my country at this competition and I hope that I will get the opportunity to be on the world team again.”

In her three years participating in the sport, she has accomplished very much. Overall, she has received 13 awards, including second place at Bench Nationals, second place at Raw Nationals and first place at High School Nationals. She also has learned more about herself as she has participated in the activity that she loves.

“My favorite part of weightlifting is the progression you see in yourself,” said Richardson. “I think that it builds character along with muscle and it is very easy to track your progress and see yourself improve. Powerlifting is different from other sports because while you are also competing against others, you are really just trying to beat your own records and see what your body can do.”

Richardson is also excited to be a part of the LHS powerlifting team that has recently become a more prominent activity at LHS, and she hopes to share her passion of the sport with others.

“Lincoln is starting to get into powerlifting and they have a team,” said Richardson. “If anyone is interested in starting lifting, they should talk to Coach Mags (Magnuson) and get involved. It is really an amazing sport and I guarantee you will love it.”