It is 2017, and the scrunchie is back

A fellow teenager sporting the trendy scrunchie.

Photo provided by Google Public Use

Brita Quello, Staff Writer

The last time the scrunchie was “in” was back in the 1980s, and now 37 years later, it is back. The times have been a changin’ as you may see this age’s teenagers sporting this new trendy hair accessory.

“I decided to purchase some scrunchies because they are really comfortable to wear and they do not pull or tangle your hair like some of the regular ponytails do,” said sophomore, Nyah Thaemert. “I continue to follow and love this trend.”

All over the country, people of all ages are diving into this trend. Some are sporting just neutral colors, but you can also find crazy patterned and bright neon colored hair bands, some can be purchased at Target. Although not only are the colors and patterns creative, people are finding creative ways to wear them as well. If it is just wearing them as a bracelet, or it also may be used in a funky hair-do.

“I normally wear the scrunchies in a normal ponytail, but I also sometimes wear scrunchies on my wrists,” said Thaemert. “A lot of times my regular ponytails break, so it is nice to have a backup handy too.”   

A scrunchie is not just an ordinary hair tie, it is considered an accessory in this time period. For now, most coordinate their scrunchie pattern or color with the outfit they are wearing that day. Before, you may have just grabbed the closest black or brown ponytail, but now some effort is involved. For example, if you are wearing an outfit that consists of mostly neutral colors, you may not want to grab the yellow neon scrunchie, unless you are into that pop of color.  

The 80s prime time is back, and the 2017’s age is embracing it full on, repping that very well-known scrunchie.