The ins and outs of Disc Golf club

Photo Provided By Tyler Hylland

Miles Hoy, Jaden Hintz and Tyler Hylland show off their discs at upper Tut Hill

Caiden Capaldo, Staff Writer

Golf has stereotypically been seen as a bland and boring sport. Disc Golf, however, has captivated LHS students who like golf but want a bit more of a thrill. Throughout the last 3 weeks, students have enjoyed the newly-founded Disc Golf club.

Founded by senior Miles Hoy on Sept. 8 of this year, the club attracts many students, ranging from freshmen to seniors. Altogether, the atmosphere of the club is very inviting and laid-back, yet competitive and serious at the same time.

Members take their golfing seriously, using terminology for their discs that only true disc golfers use. Hoy is very selfless with his discs, and allows anyone to use them if they do not have any. Some would argue that Hoy is the factor that makes the club so great.

“I wanted to start the club because I enjoyed disc golfing and had a few friends who were interested in it,” said Hoy. “So [I asked myself] why not? [My favorite part about disc golf club is] kicking Tyler and Jaden’s butts weekly.”

Some enjoy coming to the club simply because it is something to do on a Friday afternoon, like treasurer Matt Gietzen. However, some members, like Jaden Hintz, are very committed to the club. As a second-week member, Hintz has climbed up the ranks to become the second vice president. Hintz takes his disc-golfing very seriously, carrying around 25 discs with him at any time.

“I enjoy being able to go disc golf with other people who [also] enjoy disc golfing,” said Hintz. “It’s a great way to play a game I enjoy, meet new people and make new friends while playing.”

The club meets on Fridays at 3:30 p.m., and is located at upper Tut Hill. They tend to do the entire golf-course every meeting, but anyone can come and go as they please. Tyler Hylland, another vice president of the club, has much to say about the purpose of the club.

“Disc golf club is a fun way to get a bunch of people who enjoy going out [to] disc golf  and the great outdoors together,” said Hylland. “My favorite part is getting my butt kicked every week by Miles Hoy, and of course just playing the D1 sport.”