Possible cause for concern at LHS

Lillian D.

Officers Larsen and Draeger are the ones behind safety at LHS.

Lillian D., Staff Writer

From clothes to headphones to smartphones, the question is what don’t high school students have with them when they walk into campus? In addition to that, over 1,500 people are thrown into the same space for seven hours each day, causing friction.

Over the course of the first month of school, there has been a spike in the amount of fights and theft occurrences at LHS. While the new rule states that teachers are required to be outside during passing period, sometimes it is not enough to put a stop to these instances. If items are left unattended, there is little that a teacher can do unless reported by the student or the if the theft is seen directly.

Addressing the situation of theft, the office must receive a documented form of such occurrence.

“Eight people have filled out lost or missing items,” said Officer Jason Larsen. “Now that doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s not more that’s stolen, but these are the people that came down to the office in the last month.”

The majority of the reason for stolen items at LHS are because of the actions of the students.

“People don’t lock their stuff up [in the locker rooms],” said Officer Robert Draeger.

As far as the fights go, they are usually a standalone issue for such things happening at LHS.

“The fights themselves, they’ve all been differing of opinions,” said Officer Larsen.

The severity can range from a shove into a locker to full on punches being thrown.

“We’ve had three real fist fights, the rest have been shoving matches and some name calling in the hallways,” said Officer Larson.

At the end of the day, the police officers and staff of LHS want nothing more than to give students a safe and outstanding education during their time here.

“We want you to leave high school with a diploma, not a criminal record,” said Officer Draeger.