Survival guide to parent-teacher conferences

Conferences at LHS begin this week.

Timothy Stolp, Staff Writer

First quarter and third quarter mark another round of terrifying moments for most students: Parent-teacher conferences.

The misnomered event, which should be parent-teacher-student conferences (unfortunately), can only be mastered with practice and perseverance (unfortunately). This means you have to push through the first two or three times to nail it down, but the Statesman is here to aid LHS students with some tricks and tips to survive the cumbersome ordeal:

1. Don’t think. Just don’t. It’s way better to go into the gym with a clear mind and no premonitions. When talking with your teachers, smile and nod as though you are paying attention while in reality you are trying to remember all the homework that particular teacher assigned tonight.
  2. If you can’t not think and instead you worry, dress lightly. Sweat is inevitable for worry warts and layers of clothing only help the sweat come along, especially in a space filled with loads of people. It becomes a spiraled path you do not want to take.
  3. Let your parents do the talking, but not too much. If your parents are anything like mine, they have friends; lots and lots of friends who like to catch up for some reason at your parent-teacher(-student) conferences. Let them talk though; it gets their minds off the things your teachers just said.
  4. In essence, if you pay attention during school, raise your hand often enough and get decent grades, your teachers won’t have much to note to your parents. If you can’t do that, why are you wasting your time reading the Statesman? Not to say you shouldn’t read the Statesman, but do some work.