Generosity of LHS students helps local hospitals

Students from LHS are eager to make a difference in the local community on Oct. 31.

Lillian D.

Lillian D., Staff Writer

One of the most important substances for a human body to function is blood, something that the U.S. is in shortage of when it is needed most.

With around 32,000 pints of blood used each day to save lives, it is no secret that without donating, millions would die daily. That is why on Oct. 31, LHS is hosting the bloodmobile to contribute to the need in our own community. Those eligible to donate are able to make a difference without leaving the school.

LHS, along with many other schools around the nation are coming together to make a difference in the world.

“National Honor Society groups all around the country are in charge of running the blood drives at their schools,” said Susan Bull, NHS adviser.

Sign ups for donation start well before the day, with students able to fill all the available times.

“There are 52 slots for appointments and we usually fill all the slots,” said Bull. “In the end, we do well if we end up with 40 pints of blood donated, which has the potential to save 120 lives.”

After many years of the bloodmobile, donors need to keep in mind their own health while donating.

“We worked hard to improve the education of the donors,” said Bull. “It’s really important that they eat well and hydrate well to prevent people from getting sick afterwards, even though that’s actually uncommon.”

Age restriction have been put in place, requiring donors to be at least 17 years old (16 with parents permission).

“I’ve always wanted to donate blood [and] in the past I wasn’t able to get parents permission,” said Ella Blair, LHS senior. “I think it’s good to give blood for the people who are going to need it.”

At the very core, students are eager to be able to save the lives of others.

“I think it’s important to help people when you can,” said Sam Mendel, LHS senior. “There’s always a need for blood, so I think it’s important that if you can give blood [do it] and help in any way you can.”