A new sport has been trending around LHS

Matt Gietzen and Spencer Josko are members of the Angling Club.

Dalton Masselink

Dalton Masselink, Journalism Student

There is a new sport trending around LHS that has several LHS students busy outside of the classroom.

LHS junior Matt Gietzen is a member of the fishing club at LHS and it has been trending into quite a popular sport. While other sports like football and baseball are into full swing with tensions in divisions and the World Series starting, fishing is a pastime students seem to enjoy.

“We fish at least once a week as a Varsity bass or walleye team. We have around 15 guys that really like to fish. We wanted to start the club because we wanted to fish with other anglers from Lincoln,”said Gietzen.

The club has enough members to create a JV and Varsity team.

“We compete in tournaments but we plan to have one maybe this fall and one in the winter and probably three in the spring,”said Gietzen.

Having time to adjust his schedule can be stressful at this age but for these anglers, they are ready to fish anywhere. Most people fish near the closest pond or lake, but if he wants to be competitive, it is reasonable to travel a bit longer than the average angler.

“The farthest place we have fished so far is Lake Island for walleye but we plan on going much further than that since we kind of just started the club,”said Gietzen.

Like anything else, qualifications are an ideal way to preserve the safety of the sport.

“You must have a fishing license and your own gear. We do not supply fishing rods,”said Gietzen.

The team has a usual meeting to discuss future events and ideas for the club. During the meeting, they decide when and where to fish.

“We have angling club meetings in room a122 after school on Mondays. The club will be active in the fall until ice comes around and we will have only have one tournament angling against 300 different people at catfish bay,” said Gietzen.

Gietzen has a particular place he likes to fish.

“Our usual spot is 81 ponds or private ponds for varsity,”said Gietzen.

If students have any questions, the team meets every Monday in room A122.