New grade recovery strategy for freshmen at LHS

Freshman+Chloe+Harbaugh+works+on+her+homework+in+the+cafeteria+before+first+period+starts.+

Abbie Griffin

Freshman Chloe Harbaugh works on her homework in the cafeteria before first period starts.

Abbie Griffin, Entertainment Editor

High school can be a time for transition for everyone. For some, it is a time to grow up and take responsibility, and for others it is a time to spend with friends and participating in extracurricular activities. Either way, it can still be hard for everyone to get the grades they want and the GPA they know they deserve.

This is why LHS Principal, Robert Grimm, has implemented a new plan of action to help freshmen with recovery in their classes. LHS teacher Scott Amundson will be running the class to help these students complete missing assignments.

“We get the assignments from teachers and then we just try to work through them because we do not have a set schedule yet because it is a working progress,” said Amundson. “I just try to move around and answer their questions.”

Every Monday, any students with a ‘D’ or an ‘F’ in a class will spend the day completing missing assignments until they finish them all. If they finish the assignments before the day is over, the students are free to go back to their class.

Students will also be required to finish assignments and work for outside classes that they missed for the recovery day. Teachers have  been asked to stay after school to help their students. If students do have to miss for a recovery day, they can go talk to their teachers about making up what they missed in class.

This recovery strategy is taking place to help freshmen students get back on track with their grades and in school.

“[The first Monday was] a little hectic just because not everyone knew what was going on, and I necessarily did not have all the information that I needed from everybody because this is a new thing,” said Amundson