‘Lady Bird’ flies towards top of charts

Summer Ericson, OPED Editor

“Lady Bird,” directed by Greta Gerwig, has recently received one of the highest movie ratings ever given on Rotten Tomatoes: a 100 percent positive rating. Reviewers and critics alike are giving praise to this “coming of age” film that leaves viewers more than satisfied.

“Lady Bird” features Saoirse Ranon who plays “Lady Bird,” or “Christine” in the film. She is a teen, struggling to keep up with the stresses of high school but also trying to maintain her strong-willed, opinionated characteristics. Her mother, played by Laurie Metcalf, is just like Lady Bird. Oftentimes, their similar personalities cause them to clash. The mother is a nurse who is struggling to keep the family financially stable after her husband loses his job. “Lady Bird” strives to attend a college in New York, but the financial state of the family could prevent her from doing so.

The familial struggles that the family goes through are meant to be relatable, and they are perfectly portrayed as that. The life of a young high school girl who wants to attend an expensive college across the U.S. is so relatable it makes viewers feel like they are in the movie themselves.

“Lady Bird” is not the average, cliche story about a cheesy high school experience. It realistically portrays the struggles that so many young teens and their families go through.

The film is currently playing at the Century Stadium 14 location on the east side of Sioux Falls. It released on Nov. 3rd, and the awards in its name are growing exponentially.

This movie is relatable, a bit melancholy, but most definitely enjoyable.

**Disclaimer; bring your kleenexes