The scary truth about Snapchat

Google Public Use

Google Public Use

Google Public Use

Lillian D., Staff Writer

The permanency of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts was quickly replaced by the intriguing idea of disappearing photos. No more worries about content staying on one’s profile forever. However, there is never good without some bad in return.

With additional updates to the app, there were some features that made people question how secure it is to use. ‘Snap Map’ was introduced in the middle of 2017, which became a threat by sharing the location of a user. It was so accurate where one can see where the user lives. The only way to disable this is to go into ‘Ghost mode.’

In addition to sharing locations of users, Snapchat’s security of disappearing photos has been put at risk more times than once. Apps like Snapchat+ for iOS and Casper for Android allow snaps to get saved without triggering the safety feature of Snapchat. Some users send photos through the app to prevent it from showing up ever again. Yet these apps create a bypass for the core reason of Snapchat’s popularity.

Finally, nothing done online is truly secure. Servers on Snapchat keep the snaps until they are expired or open and possibly after that as well.

“Snapchat lets you capture what it’s like to live in the moment,” the privacy policy of the app reads. “On our end, that means that we automatically delete the content of your Snaps (the photo and video messages that you send your friends) from our servers after we detect that a Snap has been opened by all recipients or has expired.”