Alabama defeats Georgia; 26-23

Hunter Merkley, Staff Writer

Last night, the two best college football teams in the nation faced off for the National Championship. The game was held in the newly built Mercedes-Benz stadium. The stadium was packed with both Georgia and Alabama fans. Some special guests were also in attendance, including President Trump and Ric Flair.

The game kicked off around 7:00 p.m. and did not end until around 11:30 p.m. The game was filled with numerous twists and turns. Georgia dominated the first half, going into the locker room with a 13-0 lead. Georgia running back, Sony Michel, carried the Bulldogs, averaging seven yards a carry. Bulldogs quarterback, Jake Fromm, also chipped in going 16/32 for 232 yards and one touchdown.

All this was not enough to fend off the Alabama Crimson Tide. Going into the second half coach Nick Saban made a QB change, putting in true freshman Tua Tagovailoa. The change was an instant spark to the Tides offences. With help from their defence Alabama closed the deficit to ten by the start of the 4th quarter. Alabama needed the perfect quarter to either tie or win the game. That is exactly what they got. With only three seconds left and the game tied, Alabama brought on their field goal unit.

It all came down to one kick. The stress on the kicker would be unimaginable. The snap and hold were both good, but the kick was shanked left. The game headed into overtime, where Alabama scored a TD to win the game. This gave Nick Saban his 6th National Championship tying him with Bear Bryant for the most titles.

“The game was super exciting, it was definitely worth staying up late for,” said LHS sophomore Elliott Hackett.