7-Eleven raids: Trump is just getting started

Over 100 locations were raided on Wednesday.

GOOGLE PUBLIC USE

Katie Osmundson, Staff Writer

Immigration agents raided nearly 100 7-Eleven stores nationwide on Wednesday to search for undocumented workers under what is said to be the “largest operation against an employer under Donald Trump’s presidency.” 21 undocumented people were arrested and as Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Director Tom Homan states, they are just getting started.

“Businesses that hire illegal workers are a pull factor for illegal immigration, and we are working hard to remove this magnet,” said Homan. “[Wednesday’s] actions send a strong message to U.S. businesses that hire and employ an illegal workforce: ICE will enforce the law, and if you are found to be breaking the law, you will be held accountable.”

The raids are a foreshadowing of what is to come, the ICE is continuing to gear up for more large scale inspections of companies of all sizes and industries. These types of sweeps are becoming more common under the Trump presidency, as one of Trump’s campaign promises was to curb competition for American jobs.

“ICE will continue its efforts to protect jobs for American workers by eliminating unfair competitive advantages for companies that exploit illegal immigration,” said Homan.

This raid comes just a few hours after District Judge William Alsup on San Francisco blocked the Trump administration’s move to end the DACA Program for Dreamers.

7-Eleven also issued a statement saying, “7-Eleven franchisees are independent business owners and are solely responsible for their employees including deciding who to hire and verifying their eligibility to work in the United States.”

It also went on by saying that it has terminating the franchising contracts convicted of violating the laws.
https://www.bustle.com/p/ices-raids-at-7-11-stores-are-a-preview-of-whats-coming-next-7853503

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-immigration-and-customs-enforcement-ice-raids-7-eleven-management-777220