School schedule change: for better or for worse?

Taylor Ericson, Staff Writer

The Sioux Falls public school calendar has been a contradictory subject over the past few years. Many changes have been, and are continuing to be made to the year of education in order to satisfy all preferences.

This upcoming 2018-2019 school year, students are going to be undergoing some changes involving a schedule that may seem unneeded. The first change to the calendar is the adjustment of the first day of school. This date is being moved to Aug. 23, which is over a week earlier than this year’s schedule. Although this may not seem like a drastic change, for a stressed high schooler, every day of relaxation counts.

“The shorter summer stinks because I have so much fun in the summer time with my friends and family,” said sophomore, Nyah Thaemert. “That time will sadly be cut short now.”

Another change that has sparked some agitated responses is the shift of semester test dates. With the updated calendar, high schoolers now take their exams the week after they return from Christmas break. This leaves little time for studying and can cause students to become more overwhelmed than they already are.

“My studying plans will be impacted because now I will have to prepare over Christmas break instead of having weeks to prepare after the break,” said Thaemert. “I like to have fun and travel over Christmas, break so it will be harder to be as prepared and to find time to make sure I am ready.”

These differences have many contrasting views; but, only time will tell the success or failure of these decisions.