Brain Drain

LHS Statesman

LHS has three new administrators this year: Dr. Laura Raeder, Mitch Lynch and Kari Papke.

Brita Quello, Staff Writer

As the semester wraps up, LHS students voice their opinions about some of the most challenging classes that are offered at LHS, including Accelerated Chemistry, AP Physics, AP Biology and AP Calculus.

The two Accelerated Chemistry teachers at LHS are Jim Jarawski and Brian Bechard.  It is known for being a difficult class, but a worthwhile one.

“This year, I am taking Accelerated Chemistry,” said sophomore Brianna Geis. “You do have homework every single night and you have to study every night, just to make sure you know the material. Even though it can be difficult, it is my favorite class. I learn and get stuff out of the class every day. Also, Jaws, our teacher tells great stories, such as the background behind his ‘eye’ and ‘arm,’ and he ‘loves us in a non-creepy’ way.”

AP Physics l can be known as a difficult class, which is usually taken by juniors and seniors, but it is a great choice if you appreciate math and science.

“I am in AP Physics l,” said junior Pad Baireddy. “It can be difficult, though, because there are a lot of different concepts to understand in one chapter. You also need to learn a ton of stuff in a short amount of time. But one memory I have, is when, Mr. Newitt, my teacher knocked over everything on the table to show a demonstration of friction. Anyway, I am wonderful and school is so easy for me so, of course, I learn the concepts because I am the Queen of learning. #takethat.”

Steve Ortmeier is the only teacher that teach AP Biology. Some may consider this class somewhat difficult, but it is also looked at as not that hard of a class, compared to the others. However, AP Bio is usually taken by seniors.

“This year, I am taking AP Bio,” said senior Gavin LeMier. “In the class, we have to learn a lot of new information that I have never heard of. Although, I do get stuff out of the class and learn. I just learned about cancer cells and how they grow and develop; I had no idea how this process worked before I enrolled in this class. Also, every Monday, we have ‘Music Mondays,’ where we take the first 10 minutes of class to listen to whatever music Mr. Ortmeier, my teacher, chooses for us.”

AP Calculus is known for being one of the hardest classes at LHS and it also consists of mostly seniors. It can be a good intro to the concept of Calculus, if students take it again in college.  

“I am enrolled in AP Calc,” said senior, Savannah Heeren. “What makes it difficult is that you have to accept that there’s not any particular reason behind certain concepts, a lot of the class is mainly laws and theories and then applying them. Even though the class always smells really weird after Mrs. Brown, the teacher’s, 6th Period Algebra ll, I feel like I learn a lot, I’m just not aware of it. You learn really random theories that you’ll only need to know for AP Calc.”

Hopefully, this student orientated guide helps students determine what classes to challenge themselves with or to avoid at LHS.