Lip Sync Battle preview

Caiden Capaldo, Staff Writer

We’re soaring! Flying! We’re breaking free!” sang Jack VanVeldhuizen and Bronson Vasa at last years Lip Sync Battle. The duo worked together at an attempt to win the competition by singing High School Musical’s, “Breaking Free,” a hit loved by many. The competition, although fun, is actually a fundraiser for senior prom.

“The proceeds from the competition go to pay for the photo booth [for prom],” said senior class vice president Emily Rotert. “The important thing is to go all out. If you don’t hold anything back, then it becomes really fun.”

LHS alumni Katie Patrick and Brooke Luitjens were last years champ’s. They composed a mashup of some popular songs from the 80’s. The judges of the contest judge contestants based on their ability to move their lips to the lyrics of the song and on their dance moves. Patrick and Luitjens demonstrated the perfect combination of these skills, and have advice to give to other contestants as well.

“Have fun and don’t be afraid to embarrass yourself,” said Patrick. “It’s just a fun and goofy way to spend your night.”

Seth Stroh, another senior, also assists with the Lip Sync Battle. As class treasurer, he organizes the Lip Sync Battle’s financial side of the operation. Stroh enjoys to watch the performances as an audience member, and believes others can benefit from it too.

“Put the Fortnite-playing aside for a little bit and come enjoy some laughter as your classmates show off their amazing singing talents,” said Stroh.

This year, the Lip Sync Battle will take place at 7 P.M. on March 22. To get involved in the competition itself, contact Steve Blankenship for information.