LHS students plan to participate in March 14 walkout

Summer Ericson, OPED Editor

Amidst the all-too-frequent school shootings happening in the U.S emerge students who are eager and longing for change. Talk of gun control has been prevalent in our country, but actions have failed to resonate with it; so students have decided to take the topic into their own hands. They’ve organized a student-led walkout during school hours.

After the shooting in Parkland, FL, students decided that they would take 17 minutes out of their day of school on March. 14 to promote gun control and remember those lost in the Florida shooting. The 17 minutes represent the 17 teens and adults who were killed.

The movement has spread across the country, and students at LHS have even decided they want to be a part of it. Sophomore Andrew Lauer is a part of the group of students who decided to bring the movement to LHS.

“The walkout will be on March 14 at 10:00 a.m.,” said Lauer. “Some of us learned about [the walkout] on social media and then got together and we thought, hey, we can do this at LHS.”

The walkout might raise concerns about how teachers and administrators would approve it, but Lauer claims that participants in the walkout won’t receive any punishments.

“We’ve talked to Mr. Grimm about the walkout and he said it would be okay as long as it is non-political,” said Lauer.  “Dr. Maher has also approved it.”

Although the walkout stands to honor the many who died in the Florida shooting, it also serves a purpose for other causes.

“[It stands for] honoring those who were killed and to start a conversation about gun violence in schools,” said Lauer. “I think one of the main goals of the walkout is to remind students that they have a voice and that they can make themselves heard. In today’s world, it feels like we don’t have a lot that we can do [as students]. By doing this, we can show that we still have a voice.”

For more information on the walkout, contact Mak Highstron, Andrew Lauer or Jasmyn Reiff.

Update: The walkout will be happening in the gym at 10:00 on March 14th. Students may leave class right away at 10:00am; participation is allowed by the administration and will not punished.