The benefits of drinking water

Jack Fehrs, Feature Editor

You have heard it before. Drink more water. But no matter how much it has been preached to you, the facts remain unchanged, it is excellent for your health. There is a long list of benefits that range from clearer skin, to staying refreshed and energized. Water could be the key to success.

The first principle benefit of water is giving the body energy and keeping muscles fresh and free of fatigue. This is something many high schoolers struggle with, due to late nights working on homework, or maybe the odd time spent working out. Water relieves fatigue by balancing fluids in cells and keeping electrolytes from shriveling.

LHS senior Caleb Belai carries a large jug of water with him around every day, ensuring hydration.

“Water is the most important thing for a human’s body and it just makes you feel good when you’re properly hydrated,” said Belai. “I just feel better.”

Belai feels better ever since he started drinking a lot of water, showing that it works for high school students.

Another great benefit that comes from drinking a lot of water is clearing up acne and having healthier skin. Many teenagers experience acne and drinking water can no doubt help this issue, if you are on medication or not.

When it comes to how much you should drink, eight glasses of eight ounces is usually enough, according to mayoclinic.org. But no single amount is right for everyone.

So next time you feel ill, or are lacking energy, just drink some water and maybe it will help.