Facebook faces backlash over privacy issues

Summer Ericson, OPED Editor

Many people know that having a social media account does not aid in protecting your privacy. But after 50 million Facebook accounts were targeted by Cambridge Analytica, a data firm that has ties with President Donald Trump’s campaign, with political ads, many have begun to question Facebook’s authority.

The 50 million Facebook users were also targeted for information and other data that was used in research; research that was originally done by an academic professor that was then sent to other organizations, including Cambridge Analytica.

After Facebook received backlash, they decided to cut off the involved organizations and parties from obtaining and using the research. But this action was not enough for some people who believe in more reform for social media websites and the protection of users’ privacy.

According to CNN, Senator Mark Warner, a Democrat from Virginia, made comments on the situation and the legality of it.

“The online political advertising market is essentially the ‘Wild West’,” said Warner. “[Legislation should be passed] that would bring transparency and accountability to online political advertisements.”

For those who do not know, Facebook uses the data from your profile, including your name, general information, likes and friends to advertise products that may appeal to you.

But when does interpreting this information for research and, in Cambridge Analytica’s situation, to aid in political advertisements go too far?

Amy Klobuchar, a senator from Minnesota, took to Twitter to voice about the scandal.     

“Facebook breach: This is a major breach that must be investigated. It’s clear these platforms can’t police themselves. I’ve called for more transparency & accountability for online political ads.  They say “trust us.” Mark Zuckerberg needs to testify before Senate Judiciary,” said Klobuchar.

Although some people are not bothered by this current situation, it does emphasize the topic of privacy and whether or not social media websites cross their jurisdictions.