Not just another gear in the works

Freshman+Areej+Nazir+shares+her+personal+experience+of+being+a+student+at+LHS.+

Photo submitted by Sophia Boyt

Freshman Areej Nazir shares her personal experience of being a student at LHS.

Sophia Boyt, Journalism Student

Not many can say with confidence that they are a part of something bigger than themselves. Few want to accept the implications of being a single gear in the massive machine of society. Yet, for LHS freshman Areej Nazir, putting on a ḥijāb and worshipping at the local Muslim community center is the norm. However, Nazir refuses to be simply another gear in the works. For her, there is no greater value than uniqueness.

Nazir practices the Islamic religion along with her parents and older brother. The community in Sioux Falls is tight but being confined to only a certain group of friends is tough. Fortunately for Nazir, the modern generation promotes individualism, enabling the teens of today to grow separate from their religion. However, this also makes it harder for some to “find a balance” between their religious and social lives. Nazir lives a life constantly balancing both the importance of religion as well as the social necessities that are important to current high school students.

“I find that people in my generation have to work to find a balance between their beliefs and living their everyday life,” said Nazir. “Growing up in a society that [is] different from other generations makes it a little harder to find this balance.”

Nazir’s escape from her religion involves sports, clubs and animals. She plays Tennis and debates for LHS in Lincoln-Douglas debate. She also loves horseback riding and owns a rabbit and a parrot. Not only that, but she also participates in Orchestra during school hours. Nazir has a very privileged life, but sometimes, it can be overpowering.

“I really love animals, so horseback riding gives me a chance to interact and spend time with them,” said Nazir. “The activities I participate in are really helpful as an escape [from] my religion. I love being part of the community here, but sometimes it can be very time-consuming.”

However, the socially accepting community in Sioux Falls is not present everywhere. In fact, many people are trying to “shoo” Muslims out of the country. In this day and age, society is beginning to look down on Muslims thanks to the current situation in the Middle East. For Nazir, the judgements of others are worth very little.

“For those who sometimes make assumptions about people because of their religion, I would say this; No one is defined only by one aspect of their life. People are separate from the labels they are placed under and should be able to control how they are viewed. I hope anyone who doubts Muslims because of the actions of others should do some research of their own and hopefully change their views.” said Nazir.