Half day’s all day ‘ere day

Brita Quello, Staff Writer

After experiencing many half-days this school year, students are asking themselves, “Why isn’t every day a half-day?”

For a half-day, the LHS student body usually starts at 7:30 in the morning and gets out at 12:30. This school day is about five hours long, but a regular school day is about seven hours long. Although, if we start early in the morning and get out before lunch, that is an hour that can be spent outside of school. Furthermore, if we cut down on the passing period time and discard the unnecessary extra time that is added into our day, our day can be completely compiled into one half-day.

A half-day has multiple advantages. First of all, if we are getting out at 12:30 that would allow for student athletes to partake in their sport, without it interfering with sleep or schoolwork. With this extra time, you would be able to finish your practice earlier and then still have the time to complete your homework. Some may argue that waking up earlier would hurt us more than it would help us. But, in fact, since we are released earlier, we will be able to go to bed earlier because of the extra time that we would have after school.

On a normal school day, I will get out of school at 3:15 in the afternoon, but then I will rush to tennis, which I am always late to and then once I finish and get back home it is 6 p.m. This is then when I will eat dinner, and then most likely start my homework. Since I am starting so late, I probably will not complete my assignments or I will be up later due to the time restrictions. A half-day is not only a healthier option, but an option that most agree with.

“I would always rather have half-days,” said freshman Molly Wetsch. “It allows us to have more time in the afternoon for activities and we still have time to do homework. Half days would be better because the school days also feel a lot shorter.”

After asking the student body and doing research, a half-day is not just a desired dream, but it could become a reality due to the health benefits.