Redd breaks 42-year-old track record

Hunter Merkley, Staff Writer

Here at LHS, the track program is well known. With countless state titles, it is easy to say that the track culture runs deep. Last year, LHS finished with yet another state title and it seems that the success has carried over to this season.

The track team is made up of various talented athletes including LHS senior Malik Redd. Redd competes in the triple jump, long jump, sprints, and relays. For Redd his main event that he focuses on is the triple jump and last week it paid off. At the Pierre Relays, Redd jumped a whopping 46’2.5”. With his jump, Redd beat the previous school record of 46’1”. The previous record had been standing for 42 years.

“It’s cool to see someone break a 42-year-old record,” said Redd’s teammate Michael Alex. “He has shown us that with hard work and dedication anything is possible I really look up to him.”

Currently, Redd is ranked as the second-best triple jumper in the state. With the State Meet being a few weeks away, Redd hopes to continue to get stronger and improve his form.

“Each day at practice he comes with the mentality to get something done,” said Alex. “He is easy to follow and aspire to be, I am super grateful for everything he has taught me.”

His hard work and dedication have not gone unnoticed. Redd’s work ethic and leadership at track meets are what make him a great leader.

“He is a great athlete, I’m super proud of what he has accomplished this year,” said head track coach James Jarovski. “I’m glad to see him break the record he deserves it.”

Redd plans on attending USD next year and furthering his track career. After completing his freshman season at USD, he hopes to transfer to Nebraska.