AAU vs. high school basketball

Hunter Merkley, Staff Writer

Kobe Bryant once said that “AAU is horrible for the game of basketball,” but is that really true? With thousands of indoor facilities and summer programs, playing basketball year-round is something that is becoming more and more common.

Some might even say that the world of AAU basketball is not only more exciting to watch, but might also be taking over high school basketball’s spotlight. Seeing big time coaches such as Coach Krzyzewski of Duke or Coach William of UNC taking in a few games at a tournament is not rare at all. In fact most college programs recruit based on AAU play.

So the question is what are the differences between high school and AAU?  The main difference is the pace and physicality of AAU. LHS sophomore Emma Osmundson plays both high school and AAU ball and the 5’10 guard had a lot to say about the two.

“AAU is a lot more physical, the pace is a lot faster to,” said Osmundson. “I learn a lot of skills during the AAU that I can apply during the high school season.”

Despite the differences between the two there are perks of doing both. Playing year round allows you to be recruited more easily. It also allows an athlete to develop skills and play with people you don’t normally play with.

“My favorite part of AAU is that I get to play with people from different school, but I like high school because the whole school is supporting you,” said Osmundson.

With summer approaching fast Osmundson plans to play with the Sioux Falls Network. The team is made up of girls from all over South Dakota. They will play in multiple tournaments all over the Midwest.