Is college for everyone?

Alisha Auen

Senior, Alisha Auen is an awesome staff writer.

Alisha Anne Auen, Staff Writer

With the school year coming to an end, many seniors have a decision made about their post high school plans. Some will be heading off to college in the fall and others will travel or work. Many parents and teachers push for students to go to college, and it is evident why. According to statistics, a person with post-secondary education will have a higher pay job and more success. However, college is not for everyone and you can be successful and more importantly, happy, without that degree.

Many of us feel forced to go to college by our parents and peers because it is ‘what everyone is doing.’ Nevertheless, there are other options out there that are worth looking into for some students. A gap year is one of those options, and it’s becoming increasingly more popular. A gap year allows a student to travel and hopefully ‘find themselves.’ Many of these students do eventually hope to attend college. However, they want to explore the world first.

Another option for students is to forget college alltogether and go straight into the workforce. This is great for students who know a degree isn’t for them and want to start making money right away. Many find a trade or skill they are good at and go from there. Drywallers, construction workers and builders are all jobs don’t involve getting a degree but still pay well.

Although college seems like the most popular option, there are other paths for students to take after high school. So forget the statistics and choose the path that suits you.