What the LHS Poetry Club is all about

Kate Fehrs, Staff Writer

Pouring one’s heart out through poetry requires a group of supportive and open-minded individuals. The LHS Poetry Club exhibits this quality every time they meet.

Many may think, ‘how can a couple of students that write poetry together have a family-like bond?’ Writing and sharing poetry with others is actually quite hard to do. Poetry is simply one’s own thoughts, so being able to share poetry aloud, in an accepting and non-judging environment is necessary. The foundation of the LHS’ Poetry Club is formed by trust.

Junior, Meaghan Murphy joined Poetry Club her freshman year, and is now president of it. The club has impacted her life as a writer and in general.

“It gives you a really safe place to write, and I’ve never had that before, where you can share any poetry you write,” said Murphy.

To Murphy and other club members, LHS’ Poetry Club is a place where they can go to express their poetry with trustworthy people. The members have created a bond like no other.

“We are very accepting in poetry club and we create this safe environment for people to share their poetry,” said Murphy.

Sara Klawonn, the director of the LHS’ Poetry Club agrees along with the members that this club has an unbreakable relationship. The amount of trust they have makes the members feel like they are a part of a second family.

“When students share their writings and get feedback, they are really putting themselves out there, kind of exposing themselves and making themselves vulnerable,” said Klawonn. “That’s when relationships really happen. So I definitely think it’s like a family.”